We had to postponed our Book Club meeting to 6th February because of the nasty weather. Hopefully you have had time to finished the book, here are a few questions we will be considering:
- What characteristics strike you about the story′s two leading ladies: Flora Carswall and Sophia Frant?
- What attracts Thomas Shield to each woman?
- Why is Edgar Allen Poe significant? Why do you think Andrew Taylor chose to fictionalise him? And why is he both a central and a peripheral figure in the story?
- Do you think The American Boy is a recreation of the nineteenth century novel, or a commentary on it?
- What makes the novel conventional; what makes it modern?
We can of course discuss any aspect of the book and remember to bring along your latest project as the meeting will also be a sit ‘n’ sew.