Zoe W: Blackboard Drawers

I’ve been trying to rearrange my large collection of craft equipment, and it seemed the ideal opportunity to do something I’ve been meaning to do for a while. I can’t take credit for the idea; I’ve seen the idea elsewhere and liked it, and for very little effort, it can be very effective. In fact the most difficult part was fetching the blackboard paint from the shed, and possibly getting all 26 drawers out to the garden to paint them!

I’ve got quite a few of the handy sets of Swedish wooden drawers, plus I recently added one full size chest of drawers. Over the years I’ve labelled them in various ways, but they never worked particularly well.

I lightly sanded the wooden drawers, and wiped down the melamine drawers with melamine primer, then painted them with the blackboard paint. I’d had a can of the paint (left over from an earlier project where I had a blackboard door in my kitchen for a couple of years) but it can be purchased for about £9 or £10 from most DIY shops, and you can even get magnetic blackboard paint! I’d expected to have to do two coats, but I found that one was enough and it dried really quickly (possibly as I did it on the hottest day of the year so far).

Once they were back in place there was just the fun of picking the chalk colours – a different colour for each set of drawers – and labelling all 26 of them.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s