Zoë: Lampshade Project

I have seen lampshades in funky fabrics with pom pom trim on the bottom and I love them, I just haven’t had anywhere to put one.

Lampshades from Rice

I recently acquired a lovely Jersey Pottery lamp base and needed a shade to go on it, rather than buy one I decided to make my own version of the lampshades I love using a bit of reuse and upcycling. I picked up a lampshade at a boot fair for 50p and two lots of trim, also for 50p.

I started by removing the trim from the lampshade, as you can see I had already done this before I thought to take a picture. I was left with a lampshade covered with a thin light cream fabric. Having looked online for some tutorials for covering lampshades I decided to leave this fabric on and stitch my fabric to it.

I already knew I wanted to use some of my collection of 1960s and 70s fabrics, most of these are old pillowcases that I have picked up in charity shops. I picked out a selection of thin fabrics that went well together. I used thin fabric to make sure some light still comes through.

I was a little nervous when I started, but it have spent very little money so if it didn’t work very well it wouldn’t matter too much. To start I pinned some scrap fabric over one of the panels to make a pattern, it is important to get the fabric pinned out nice and tight so you get the right shape. Once it was pinned I rubbed a pencil over the fabric where the frame is to give the shape to cut out.

I cut my first piece of fabric with plenty of extra at the top and bottom to tuck under the frame. I stitched it on to the lampshade by catching the existing fabric at the point where the metal frame is. I tried to be neat and use small stitches so you wouldn’t be able to see them when it is finished. I found it much easier to stitch the new panels on than I thought it would be and before I knew it I had done all eight.

The joins between each panel were quite neat but needed covering. I pinned on various different widths of ric rac  to see what I liked, I decided a mini one was the best and I had it in lots of colours. I used my glue gun to stick the ric rac on as it was too narrow to stitch on to the joins easily.

To finish off the lampshade I glued the two bits of boot fair trim to the top and bottom. I love the finished lampshade, it has turned out  just as I was hoping for. The finished lamp is going to be used in my craftroom, that is why there is lots of mess in the back ground of these last pictures!

Advertisements

5 responses to “Zoë: Lampshade Project

  1. This looks amazing! It’s so neat and pretty with all the different patterns – you should sell them!

  2. Pingback: Funky Retro Lampshade «·

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s