Having made a number of granny square blankets by making one large square I decided it was time to make one from lots of small squares stitched together. The final blanket is made of 64 squares in total and each square is made of seven different colours. There are four different colourways in total. I really liked the first set of seven colours I picked out, but I ran out of yarn which is why there are four different sets of 16 squares. I found it quite hard to get the colour choices right after the first set; I sorted it through trial and error, making up squares and changing the colour order if I didn’t feel happy with it.
I didn’t decide on the black border for each square until I had made 32 squares so I had to go back and add two rows of black to each square of those I had already made. I am glad I did this as I really like the black outlines. This also helped to make the blanket bigger without making too many more squares. Sewing up was easier as you can’t see the stiching as it is black on black. I have sewn the squares together so there is a diagonal strip of each colourway. I really love how it looks.
I wanted the black edging of the squares for the outside of the blanket as well. It works out at four rows of black between each square so I needed to add another two rows round the whole blanket once it was sewn together. I then added a row of colour, row of black, row of colour, to make the blanket slightly bigger. At the moment there is one final row of black at the edge. I am still thinking of adding some more rows of black or making a fancy edging.
I am really pleased with this blanket, but I now have to sew the ends in and there are two per colour on every square so it will take a while!